Tuesday, April 18

Dutch Scrabble

My culture shock/reassimilation continues. After fixing my Dutch partner a bloody mary (which he commented was like drinking an odd, alcoholic soup), we sat down to play Scrabble. In Dutch, of course, which allowed me to "cheat" with the dictionary. Amongst the useful words I learned were "eigen teelt" or homegrown, the Belgian word for poofter, and "bink" meaing a hunk of a man. I seriously need to start taking lessons again or I'll end up sounding like someone with Tourets syndrome. My partner won by more than 100 points, catapulting me into a slight depression--especially when I leafed through my bilingual dictionary, noting there were 461 pages devoted to Dutch. An uphill battle, metaphorically of course, because there's no hills in sight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home